The Rhine Waterfall in Switzerland is the largest waterfall in Europe, attracting approximately 1.5 million visitors annually. On Switzerland’s national day, August 1st, spectacular fireworks displays and night illuminations are organized, creating a vibrant atmosphere.
For the year 2023, the event is scheduled for July 31st at 9:45 pm. During your visit, you’ll have the opportunity to not only admire the magnificent waterfall but also explore other attractions such as Laufen Castle, Eisenbahnbrucke bridge, Smilestones miniature park, and the Rheinfall Adventure Park.
Location and Access
The Rhine Falls is situated on the border of Switzerland and Germany in Neuhausen. There are two nearby train stations that provide access from both Switzerland and Germany:
- Neuhausen Rheinfall SBB (Swiss railway station) is the closest to the waterfall. From here, a quick 3-minute lift ride will take you directly to the waterfall.
- Neuhausen Bad.Bahnhof (German railway station) requires a pleasant 10-minute walk of approximately 850 meters to reach the waterfall.
The nearest airports to the waterfall are Zurich, located 45 km away, and Basel, located 130 km away.
About Rhine Falls
The waterfall stretches 150 meters in length, with water cascading from a height of 23 meters into a basin that reaches a depth of 13 meters.
Boat Tours and Tickets
While the Rhine Falls can be well observed from the shore, adrenaline seekers can opt for an exciting boat tour. These tours provide a closer encounter with the waterfall and even allow visitors to climb the only rock situated in the middle of the falls.
- Rock Experience: This 30-minute tour includes a ticket priced at 20 CHF per adult and offers a thrilling tour of the waterfall, including a climb up the cliff.
- 15-minute Tour for Multi-Angle Photos: Priced at 8 CHF per adult, this tour provides an opportunity to capture stunning photos of the waterfall from different angles.
- 30-minute Tour with Audio Guide: For 11 CHF per adult, this tour includes an informative audio guide to enhance your experience.
For additional tour options, please refer to the provided details.
Other Attractions in the Waterfall Area
To enjoy a breathtaking view, consider visiting Laufen Castle. An entrance ticket priced at only 5 CHF grants access to the panoramic terrace located next to the waterfall. You can reach the castle either by foot or by using the panoramic lift.
Eisenbahnbrucke Bridge: Dating back to 1857, this bridge serves pedestrians as well as trains. You can cross this bridge on your way to Laufen Castle.
Smilestones: As the largest indoor miniature park in Switzerland, Smilestones offers a delightful experience. The park is open from Wednesday to Sunday, between 11 am and 5:30 pm. Adult tickets cost 21 CHF, while children aged 6 and above can enter for 12 CHF.
The Rheinfall Adventure Park: Featuring the longest zipline in Switzerland and boasting a stunning view of the waterfall, the Rheinfall Adventure Park offers exhilarating adventures. Tickets are available starting from 16 CHF, and the park operates from April to October, from 10 am to 7 pm.
Book accommodation in Switzerland with Booking! Choose hotels that offer breakfast, spa services, hammam, sea views, or are located in the historic center.
Trip instinct team